|Practice Active Listening Head Moves. As you talk with others today, use these various methods of nodding with head tilts.
- Listen to someone, smile and tilt your head to the side, but withhold all nodding. Note what happens to the fluidity of the story. Does the speaker become uncomfortable?
- Now, tilt your head slightly to one side and nod your head while listening using single short nods. What happens?
- Now try the head tilt with the double nod. Did the person speed up the conversation?
- Finally, use a head tilt with the triple nod or a single, very slow nod. (Note: these nods will actually make you feel uncomfortable while doing them!)
The preceding experiments will help you determine when you should use each of the variety of nods with a date mate, the boss, your kids, or the judge. Try them out and see what works for each individual.
- Janine Driver, You Say More Than You Think